Double Degree with HEC
In today’s transforming and competitive world, companies strive to stay ahead of the market and make the best informed business decisions. Investing in the innovative technology has become a necessity.
Collecting and analyzing data in real-time help companies determine new market trends. By investing and implementing big data systems, they get new insights to build a more responsive and effective business, reach a higher level of performance and unlock new market opportunities while monitoring their risks.
Companies who are looking to capitalize on data science and set up successful big data strategies have 3 challenges to face:
- a technological challenge: collecting and storing the data pool, dealing with the spread of vast amounts of information that is often very disorganized (IP addresses, fingerprinting, website logs, static web or warehouse data, social media, etc.).
- a scientific challenge: structuring and dissecting the data, uncovering knowledge from these data through different scientific tools like data visualization.
- an economic challenge: understanding and interpreting the data, taking advantage of them to gain insight and boost the competitivity to the next level. Data are becoming part of business level strategies: they help companies improving their decision-making processes, implementing predictive analysis on emerging markets and measuring risk before entering new segments.
Ecole Polytechnique and our partner business school HEC Paris offer a new two-year joint graduate degree program in “Data Science for Business”. It aims at training students in data sciences and provides them with high-level skills on technological, scientific, strategic and business levels. Our association represents the best Engineering & Business combination Europe could possibly offer, particularly in the field of Data Science and Business.
Applications for this program are now open.
Exploiting this vast and real-time data requires:
- an advanced understanding of the fields where this data can be applied to, in order to leverage these data and turn them into a market.
- a strong business mindset and strategic expertise to uncover and develop the new opportunities offered in the Big Data field.
- IT skills to take thoughtful decisions on IT architecture and systems.
The MSc Data Science for Business will equip you with this combination of knowledge and specialized skills. Taught jointly by Ecole Polytechnique and HEC, this program will give you the unique opportunity to study in two of the world’s leading institutions in both the engineering and business fields.
The program combines a scientific and a business approach to contemporary Data Science issues and challenges. The first year is spent at Ecole Polytechnique, with a strong focus on scientific and mathematic topics. The second year is spent at HEC Business School, where students are provided with the knowledge and skills in the business field. During these two years, students benefit from world class faculty and work with leading data scientists in specialized research units and a competitive environment.
To enter this program, prospective students must have a Bachelor degree in Science, Engineering, Business or Economics. A strong background in Mathematics (check the full requirement list here) is mandatory as they will deal with data pool and will learn mathematical techniques for extraction and data visualization.
Students will have the opportunity to broaden their knowledge in the Data Science field and to gain valuable and various skills such as:
- in-depth understanding of databases and data analytics
- methods for processing vast amounts of information and data
- state-of-the-art computer and mathematical skills and techniques
- methodology to find practical applications of these data in the real industrial, business and research world.
The MSc Data Science for Business aims at equipping students with a dual competence, in both the scientific and business fields. This unique and double hatted skills set is tailored to the specific needs of the 21st century companies.
BUILD YOUR FUTURE WITH A PRIZED DOUBLE PROFILE
YEAR 1: CURRICULUM AT ÉCOLE POLYTECHNIQUE
The teaching will focus largely on the data produced by ‘real-life’ cases obtained in association with the program’s industrial partners. We will teach students the newest and most commonly used tools in this industry.
Depending on the profile of the students, they will have access to either management foundation courses (accounting and marketing) or mathematics foundation courses (mathematics, statistics and probabilities).
- Statistics in Action
- Statistics with R
- Born to Code (Python programming)
- Advanced Programming
- Mathematical Foundations of Data Science
- The Art of Regression
- Data Structure & Data Management
- Data Base Management System
- Systems for Big Data Analytics
- Machine Learning
- Neural Networks and Deep Learning
- Computational Statistics
- Graphical Models for Big Data Analytics
- Big Data Mining
- Big Data Systems
- Data Camp
- Large Graphs Mining
- Text and Graph Mining.
- Applied Mathematics Centre (CMAP), Ecole Polytechnique
- Information Technology Laboratory (LIX), Ecole Polytechnique
YEAR 2: CURRICULUM AT HEC PARIS
HEC Paris offers two different options for the second year of the curriculum: Strategic Management or Digital Business. Students will join the cohort of the HEC Grande École students.
THE STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT OPTION
- Core Methodologies for Strategy Consulting
- Financial Dimension of Strategic Decisions
- Strategic Analysis of Negotiation Games
- Strategic Management Accounting
- Strategic Marketing
Examples of Electives Courses
- Business Analytics
- Digital Transformation, Media and Beyond
- From Digital to Big Data
- Internet-Based Business Models
- Managing Global Complexity
- Strategy for Multi-Sided Platforms
Workshops with Consulting Firms
Study trip (London, Berlin, New York, etc.)
THE DIGITAL BUSINESS SPECIALIZATION
- Numerical Strategy
- Internet and Telecom Economics
- Strategic Marketing and Business
Models of the Digital Age
- Digital Marketing (SEO and SEM, CRM, Display, retargeting and other digital tools, Apps)
- Social Media Management
- Big Data/ Big Business
- E-reputation, Crisis Management, and Economic Intelligence
- New Digital Economy Law Tracks
- Digital Entrepreneurship
- Digital Transformation
Case Study: Digital strategy
Challenges with Firms
- Big Data
- Connected Objects
- Digital Consumer
Study trip (New York...)
A COMPREHENSIVE SUPPORT FOR YOUR CAREER
Both HEC Paris and École Polytechnique are committed to helping you achieve your career goals. We mobilize a wide range of resources to help build your career plan and access the best possible internship and job opportunities.
- CAREER COACHING
- MOCK INTERVIEWS
- MASTER’S THESIS
- CONSULTING PROJECTS AND REAL-LIFE CASE STUDIES
- NUMEROUS CHALLENGES WITH FIRMS
- MAJOR CAREER FAIRS & COMPANY PRESENTATIONS
(600 companies recruit on both schools’ campuses)
- MEETINGS WITH ALUMNI
- ENTREPRENEURSHIP SUPPORT
Big data are in high demand
The MSc Data Science for Business will provide you with the fundamental skills and understanding of Data issues and challenges. This program responds specifically to the growing demand by companies for a new generation of data scientists and managers, who can deal with data pool on technological, scientific and business levels.
During these two years, you will benefit from Ecole Polytechnique and HEC’s network of industrial, research and institutional partners. Upon graduation, you can expect to work for top firms in a wide range of industries:
- Financial, banking and insurance sector (BNP Paribas, Société Générale, Barclays, HSBC, AXA).
- Telecommunications and digital (Orange, IBM, Google, Facebook, Criteo, start-ups).
- Manufacturing IT industry.
- E-commerce and retail companies (Amazon, FNAC, Darty, Cdiscount…).
- Consultancy agencies (McKinsey, Accenture, Cap Gemini…) and Business Intelligence (Keyris, Sopra Group, CapGemini, SAP-Business Object, SAS).
- Data-driven marketing industry.
- Media and the leisure industry.
THE PROFILE WE VALUE
This master is just as relevant for IT specialists and applied mathematicians as it is for high-potential students with little to no former exposure to IT and statistics, as long as they have a strong level in mathematics.
Students must have a strong level in Mathematics and hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in the following fields:
- Bachelor in Science
- Bachelor in Engineering
- Bachelor in Business or in Economics.
Applications must be submitted online.
The two-phase selection process
The selection is a 2 phase process:
- A first selection is made based on the evaluation of your application and supporting documents.
- The pre-selected candidates will then be invited for a face-to-face or Skype interview.
How to Apply
Supporting documents to be up-loaded before the application deadline:
- Degree certificate(s) or current enrollment certificate
- All official academic transcripts obtained in a higher education institution (exchange programs included) with official GPA
- Résumé (CV)
- GMAT or GRE or TAGE MAGE official test score report
- English language proficiency test score report (TOEFL or TOEIC or IELTS or Cambridge)
- 2 online letters of recommendation (at least one letter should be from a professor)
- Passport-style photo
- Non-refundable application fee of €100.
Tuition fees for 2018/19 are 37 800 € for the two years. (For students already registered at Ecole Polytechnique or HEC, please contact us for further information about tuition fees).
Students receive assistance from the Housing Office to apply for the French National Housing Benefit "CAF". Students usually obtain a financial aid of 150-200 euros per month.
All our students receive the ISIC card (International Student Identity Card) automatically and for free. They gain preferential and discounted access to over 150,000 products, services and experiences relevant to all aspects of student life.
Additional scholarship opportunities can be found at CampusFrance website (e.g. French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Development for international students). Please note that the French scholarship "CROUS" is not compatible with our degree.
Esta escola oferece programas em:
Última actualização May 31, 2018