The College of Education at New Mexico State University was founded in 1956 with William B. O’Donnell serving as its first dean.
Preparing teachers has been a part of NMSU’s history since the 1800s, with education programming occupying different homes through the years. Educational programs were first housed in the School of Agriculture and in 1929-1930 a distinct Department of Education was created. In 1938 the department passed to the School of Arts & Sciences. The Department of Education and Psychology gained administrative autonomy in 1956 when the Department of Education and Psychology was changed to a School of Teacher Education. The term, College of Teacher Education, was employed when University status was gained in 1957.