The MA-programme linguistics offered by the institute for linguistics at the Goethe-University, is a programme in theoretical linguistics that is taught in English. It is neither a programme in English language nor in English linguistics. Therefore a BA in theoretical linguistics or equivalent qualification is required to join the programme. A BA in English language and literature, in English teaching, or English translation will not be sufficient to ensure successful application.
The Master of Arts in Linguistics can be completed as a full time course (four semesters). The entry requirement is a BA in linguistics or equivalent qualification. Correspondingly, the Master course is designed to substantially extend the students' knowledge base that they have acquired at the bachelor level.
The overall aim is to give students a grounding in research methods and prepare them for independent and collaborative research in the field of linguistics.
The students target three areas among the fields of syntax, semantics, phonology and neuro/psycholinguistics, language variation and change and constraint-based grammar for specialization.
The Master program in Linguistics aims at qualifying students to give theoretically sound and empirically substantiated statements on various aspects of language and to apply their new knowledge and insights while carrying out an own piece of research.
To this end, the students extend their theoretical knowledge base and refine the techniques of language description and linguistic explanation. Particularly, students discuss current issues in linguistics as related to their chosen specializations aiming at planning and carrying out independent research.
Students who have completed the Master course in Linguistics hold the qualification for an academic career and may start a PhD program in Linguistics or in a related discipline. Linguists may carry out research in many fields of the humanities, social and cognitive sciences.
- Bachelor’s degree in Linguistics or a study programme from another higher education institution with similar content. The examination board decides whether the content corresponds or not. In cases of doubt, admission to the Master’s programme will depend on an entry examination that students have to pass.
- Proof of English language skills (Niveau B2) by standardised tests or:
- high school diploma (A-levels diploma), or corresponding high school certificates and transcripts rated no lower than "adequate" (4.0), or certification of classes in english 5 years
- certification of successfully completed language courses from a German and/or or foreign university or other institution
- lecturers (or other experts) report on language proficiency acquired through international residency, university language courses, or self-study
If the university entrance qualification for the consecutive Master’s programme (namely the Bachelor’s degree) has not yet been completed, you can apply for the programme with a transcript of records on the basis of at least 80% of the required CP for the bachelor's degree. This provisional certificate must be issued by an office authorised to award grades or issue certificates. If a student is admitted, this will be on a provisional basis. Provisional admission is valid for 6 months.
Mode of admission
Admission is not restricted. Students will be directly admitted if the admission requirements are met in full.
Esta escola oferece programas em:
Última actualização January 6, 2018